Wednesday 7 December 2011

The Day of the Jacky

I saw him run up the queue, past those in front and bound past me into the grotto. I ran to catch and encourage back in my best 'I'm not touching your child' moves. I served the next customer and he was gone.


Ten minutes later he decided to come back, this time trailed by his weary mother. In broken English we began to establish if she wanted a photo or gift or both or whatever. He was off again. This time out of the grotto. Weary mother ended our conversation and set about following. He ran round a few stalls and back up to the grotto.


This time we complete the conversation and transaction and Jacky was allowed in to officially see Santa. 


He sat surprisingly well for his photo, and mother and son left to go about their business.


I watched their business for the rest of the day. It was simply Jacky running various places in the shopping centre and mother walking slowly in the same direction. 


A few hours later he was back at my till. Confused I began asking mother if he was coming in again. No, he just decided to walk this way and it was her job to follow.


I decided to do some Christmas shopping after my shift. I walked past the closed grotto only to see Jacky opening the gate and running back up the empty line. Mother stood nervously watching. I stood with her.


I took a quick scout down before leaving the centre relieved to see Jacky lying in the middle of the animal cushion stall. Somebody else's problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment