Wednesday 23 November 2011

The Accusation

I didn't judge her for her leopard print leggings that were attempting to pass for trousers. Or the exposed 'everything happens for a reason' tattoo on her lower back. I gave her the benefit of the doubt as she forced her child onto Santa's lap and stood demanding the perfect photo. Satisfied, she left, seemingly pleased with the end result. Another happy customer, next child please.


Returning from lunch I learn from my supervisor there's been a complaint. A parent has accused Santa of manhandling their child, accused him of being too rough, questioned his motives towards young children. I am outraged, I've been beside Santa all morning, there has been nothing of the sort - not even any refunds due to the terrified, crying children. My supervisor (Snapshot) asks me if I remember the woman - leggings, tattoo - my immediate recollection casts doubt on my lack of judging.


I am ready to fight to the death for Santa's honour, but first I let Snapshot finish the story. There will be no need to fight. A security guard came over after the complaint - he knew the woman, he had caught and banned her several times from the shopping centre for stealing, and this was not the first accusation she had thrown about. Santa was safe.


But I am still outraged. Perhaps even more so. Risking a good man's reputation and closing the entire grotto all for the chance of a five pound refund, and a free photo of your child with the man you accused. Good to know if your child really was harmed that's all it would take to content you.


I really didn't judge her for her appearance, or her status as a no doubt struggling single mum, but I do judge her for this. 


Ice don't like no liars.

No comments:

Post a Comment